Saturday, March 17, 2012

BRC Week 3

After considering both assignments for this week, I chose the second one.  If I were able to conduct research about anything, I would choose the effects of a behavior modification program on young children diagnosed with Autism spectrum disorders.  Maybe ages 2-5.  I would want to test whether having a behavior program for these children, would improve the behaviors that result with them being diagnosed with Autism.  I have a nephew who has been diagnosed with an Autistic spectrum disorder but when he is with me and my family, he does not exhibit the kind of behaviors he does at home.  Now, being a preschool teacher of nine kids at a time, I tend to run a tight ship at home and do not tolerate much unnecessary crying or fussing and he does great at my house.

I feel like this is not a coincidence.  I am not saying I am the best and that is why he doesn't act up at my house, but I am wondering if as a preschool teacher, I have developed skills that encourage better choices for him and result in better behavior.  I am a behaviorist at heart and I would love to test this out on a large scale somehow.  Wouldn't it be great to be able to give parents of children with an autistic spectrum disorder a set of skills that may help that child regulate his own behavior?  I would love to see the results of research like that!!

2 comments:

  1. Cari,

    When working in childcare, I had children who exhibited signs of autism and who were later diagnosed. One child in particular was late in diagnosing because the parents were reluctant to test because she felt as if he was acting like a "baby", nothing more, nothing less. In addition, the parents requested the child to be placed in the 1-2 year old classroom even though he was 3 years old. Once the child was tested and begin to receive services he flourished tremendously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cari,
    My son is now 7 and he was diagnosed at 3 with autism, and I was just telling his teachers at his last conference how I've noticed he behaves very differently with different people. For example, if one teacher comes to the car to meet him to walk him into school, he does great and is skipping. Then, when a different teacher comes to get him, he always cries and throws himself on the ground. The strange thing is that, the one that gets him when he cries is very sweet, but it is almost as if he feels a loss of control when with her. Sometimes, I think children with autism need to feel like someone is in charge and setting the tone, as you said with your nephew, you set the rules and do not tolerate certain behaviors. I think that is amazing! Sometimes the people he has problems with often are very nice, but almost too nice, and I think maybe they don't take charge of the situation when it is getting out of hand. I am going to use this advice with his teachers. Sometimes, I wish I could understand what triggers were setting him off with the people he doesn't always manage with, such as certain teachers and family members. Thanks for making me think about that! If you have any tips that work with nephew, I would love to hear!

    ReplyDelete