Sunday, August 5, 2012

Adjourning Week - 6

This week we have learned about being a part of a group and the 5 different stages that are involved in a group's development.  The last stage is the adjourning stage when a group's members dissipate and move on to the next group or project.  Right now I am about to leave the group of women I have worked with for the past two years.  An opportunity has surfaced for me to change jobs and I am going to take it!  I have enjoyed working where I have been but it also has been difficult at times and I am actually looking forward to leaving even though I love the women themselves.

Since we have been learning about groups this week, I have been thinking about the many groups I have been a part of.  I have played sports, worked for restaurants, had roommates in college, lived in a close knit family and now I have my own family who is my primary group.  The hardest group I ever had to leave was the family I grew up in.  My senior year of high school my older sisters both moved to Virginia and my younger sister and mom moved to Florida.  Saying goodbye was very difficult, not because I would never see them again, but because things would never be the same again.  This is not a bad thing all the time, but it can be hard.

I suppose that as we adjourn, we become enabled to learn from a new experience rather than staying in the same group.  I guess we may be able to say that it is our moving on, that helps us grow.

2 comments:

  1. Cari thank you for your post. I have always stayed close to my family so I do not know what it mean to be apart. But I do know how it felt to lose my team from high school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cari,

    Good luck to you on the rest of your Walden journey. It has been a delight working with you during this class. I enjoyed reading and commenting on you discussion and blog posts. Nar had a good idea of connecting through LinkedIn,so look for me if you're interesting.

    Christine Masten

    ReplyDelete